Thursday, November 29, 2007

Can you describe Christmas?



Can you describe Christmas?
Warm houses, the smell of baking, children laughing, people giving, the sense of waiting for someone coming in the air, St. Nicholas and his jolly spirit of kindness but that is not Christmas...Christ is Christmas, how do describe that!?!?

I can not. You see I love words; a well written book is a joy out of this world(Tolstoy, Turgenev, Gogol and so many more I believe are such great word wizards), but to describe such a holy time of the year I think the use of words does not do it justice. Now that I think, maybe that is why The Passion was such great movie: very little words. I can not help but think that we are robbing Christmas of its magic by trying to describe it. We can not do much by using mortal means (language) to describe immortal truths. That is why I love Christmas traditions like The Creche and the fact that it started with St. Francis ("Preach the gospel always. When necessary use words"). It makes it more magical, more beautiful (you see, all these description words can not do the job well enough). Because I can not describe all the feelings that Christmas brings into my hearth I can only describe traditions and how we as humans live and do Christmas.

I love the Christmas Creche...I love seeing all these little pieces silently put in front of the most beautiful story ever told. Real people searching for the One, shepherds (I was a shepherdess for many years back home so I feel very close to them)looking with hope-filled eyes and tears rolling down their cheeks roughened from the wind and harsh life. An anxious father with the weight of the world on his shoulders and the heart to carry the world in it, hands gentle enough to guide his tired wife. A mother with hands over her baby, heart trembling with fear for this new life, knowing that being open to life she also is open to death. Rejoicing in His birth and lamenting his life. A tiny baby wrapped up in clothes, so helpless yet he is the help of all people, so dependent yet we all depend on his mercy, mortal yet he is the life everlasting...

"For I will make a memorial of that Child who was born in Bethlehem, and in some sort behold with bodily eyes His infant hardship; how He lay in a manger on hay, with the ox and ass standing by." The word of St. Francis quoted in The First Life of Saint Francis of Assisi by Brother Thomas of Celano (A.D 1229).

4 comments:

+JMJ+ said...

Yes, how can the finite understand the infinite? Beautiful...

Dessi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dessi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maninder said...

lovely words...........just glad to read this paragraph n now no words just cant say anything..these words are touching my heart!!!!!!!!!!!